Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Update from UAB

(This update is being written by Cathy Brown at Joy's request)

David had his initial appointment with Dr Keith Thompson at the Montgomery Cancer Center yesterday to get established with him. Dr Thompson said that they would be happy to do his radiation and chemo locally, and would await the recommendations from UAB.

David had his consultation with Dr Nabor at UAB this morning. Dr Nabor reviewed his biopsy slides from Baptist and is hopeful that his tumor may not be a grade 3 and grade 4 as previously thought. He is hopeful that it may be a lower grade astrocytoma. He also reviewed his MRI/MRA films and is hopeful that they may be able to remove at least part of the tumor and then treat the rest with radiation and chemo to slow down the growth (still probably not a cure). He will present David's case to the "Tumor Board" on Tuesday July 28th and then contact him with the treatment recommendations. The Tumor Board includes Dr Nabor and a team of surgeons who will make the final recommendations about the risk of surgery ect.

David and Joy are being cautiously optimistic because if Dr Nabor is correct, and the post surgery biopsy confirms this, David's prognosis could be extended. David has been instructed to hold off on any chemo or radiation for now and they should hear from Dr Nabor at UAB next week. God is clearly at work here and everyone's prayers continue to be coveted!

Also, thanks to the McWhorter Sunday School Class & Gaylynn Brooks, David and Joy will return to a very clean house today! If anyone would like to contribute to future cleanings, please see myself or Alan & Dara Turner. David continues to be tired and can't tolerate loud noise or large crowds, but is doing well and not having any headaches yet. They are worn out today, but later in the week short morning vistis will be fine. God is good ALL the time!

In His Love, Cathy

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update. They've been on my mind all day and this is encouraging. We will continue to pray.
    Mikki

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angie Cruise GardnerJuly 22, 2009 at 5:58 PM

    Great! You have been on my mind all day! I feel for the both of you! I would love to be on the cleaning team! Please give them my phone number! I love you all very much! I have given this address to Rhonda! So she will have the update tonight too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "The fervent prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective." Praise God for this encouraging news. We continue to pray for you daily and are ready to help in whatever capacity you need us. Just say the word. We love ya'll.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We continue to pray for you all daily. We love you all very much!

    Laura, Robert, Ben and Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joy, David and Emma Kate... We are praying for you all and love you bunches! Dr. Thompson is wonderful and David is in good hands with him. He is my doctor and is more of a friend now. Cancer is a scary thing but I have always held on to Phillipians 4:13 ... Remember you CAN do all things thrugh Christ who gives you strength. I also share this song done by Casting Crowns:

    Praise You In This Storm

    I was sure by now,God, that You would have reached down
    and wiped our tears away,
    stepped in and saved the day.
    But once again, I say amen
    and it's still raining
    as the thunder rolls
    I barely hear You whisper through the rain,
    "I'm with you"
    and as Your mercy falls
    I raise my hands and praise
    the God who gives and takes away.

    Chorus:
    And I'll praise you in this storm
    and I will lift my hands
    for You are who You are
    no matter where I am
    and every tear I've cried
    You hold in your hand
    You never left my side
    and though my heart is torn
    I will praise You in this storm

    I remember when I stumbled in the wind
    You heard my cry to You
    and raised me up again
    my strength is almost gone how can I carry on
    if I can't find You
    and as the thunder rolls
    I barely hear You whisper through the rain
    "I'm with you"
    and as Your mercy falls
    I raise my hands and praise
    the God who gives and takes away

    Chorus

    I lift my eyes onto the hills
    where does my help come from?
    My help comes from the Lord, the maker of heaven and earth
    I lift my eyes onto the hills
    where does my help come from?
    My help comes from the Lord, the maker of heaven and earth

    Chorus

    This is one of those major storms of life and it is hard to give glory in this situatin but remember God is there even then and you are not alone. If you guys need anything please don't hesitate to ask. Love to you all... Wayne and Betty Emfinger

    ReplyDelete